Monday, July 23, 2007

Movie Review: 1408

Earlier this month I did something I haven't done in what seems like FOREVER - I went to see a movie in the theater. For one reason or another, Brandon and I just haven't made it to many movies this year. Here's my take on the film.

1408 - Starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson

John Cusack plays a writer who instead of writing moving novels for which he has talent, he writes virtually unsuccessful non-fiction books that attempt to de-bunk the existence of ghosts/unexplained phenomenons. Following an anonymous lead, John's character works hard to check himself into Rm 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel, which is managed by Samuel L. Jackson's character. Shortly after check in to the "evil" room, the room comes alive and John Cusack attempts to get out.

Becky's rating: C+ to B-

I will not ruin the ending for anyone who wants to see this. It is not a bad movie and I would recommend renting it if you're interested in that kind of movie. However, I felt that after the first 45 minutes, the story started getting unbelievable and lost the "suspense" element. John Cusack was entertaining, as usual. Good performance. Samuel L. Jackson has basically one scene in the entire movie, but was convincing. I wouldn't have gone in that room after what he said! The one thing about the movie that had me scratching my head when I left was simple. I didn't get the WHY that I was looking for. WHY was the room evil? What was the first event that happened to make it a cess pool for violence? WHY, WHY, WHY?

Bottom line: Not a must-see, but not a waste of time, either.

2 comments:

mommyfranklin said...

Thanks for the review. I have been mildly interested in seeing it because I really like John Cusack. I think we'd already pretty much decided to save our babysitter money and wait for the DVD, and this reinforces that!

:)

Leslie A. said...

Becky! You didn't tell me that you dragged Katy to see this film! I'm quite shocked that you convinced her to go... But she said that she enjoyed hanging out with you all. So I guess all is well.
Leslie