Friday, August 17, 2007

Movie Review: Evan Almighty

A bit delayed, but here it is:

Evan Almighty Rated PG; Starring Steve Carel and Morgan Freeman

This is a follow-up movie to the wildly successful Bruce Almighty from a few years ago. Steve Carel reprises his role as Evan Baxter, the one-time news anchor rival in the originial movie. In the beginning of the film, Evan Baxter leaves the field of journalism to pursue politics and quickly is elected as a United States Congressman. Soon after taking office, Evan is visited by God Himself, again cleverly played by Morgan Freeman. God has a big task for Evan and instructs him to build an ark, like Noah did before him, much to the dismay of his family and fellow Congressmen. Evan reluctantly obeys.

Becky's Grade: B

One of my very favorite movies is Bruce Almighty with Jim Carrey. This movie paled in comparison to that, so it's best not to compare them. The movie takes few twists and turns and you are left wanting to experience something deeper. However, the positive message of the movie overrode the simplicity of it. I enjoyed a positive, God-focused message in this cynical movie world. I left the movie looking for "opportunities." (If you see the movie, you'll get that.) And finally, I must say that the movie is good family movie - I would let my 4 year old watch this when it comes out on video. I imagine he'll enjoy seeing the animals and some of the slap-stick humor. I do not remember any curse words or overtly inappropriate jokes.

Bottom line: Rent it and watch it with your family with confidence.

1 comment:

mommyfranklin said...

You are the first person I've talked to that, like me, likes Bruce Almighty better than Evan Almighty. I thought Evan was more of a family movie, but I liked Bruce better too.