Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Open the Floodgates

Everyday when I pick up Braylon from school and usually again over dinner conversation I ask Braylon how his day at school was. A typical conversation is the following:

Mom: "How was your day?"
Braylon: "Ok."
Mom: "What did you do?"
Braylon: "Played."
Mom: "Did you sing songs? Color? Play games?"
Braylon: "Yes."
Mom: What songs did you sing?"
Braylon: "I don't remember."

Every parent has probably ran into this conversation even with the most talkative children. Well, last night, the floodgates opened up! Blaine was in bed already and Braylon came up with a creative way to stall - CHAT! He started telling us details about everything he could think of at school, from his favorite teachers, to the things he liked to do. He enlightened us to the fact that even if someone isn't his friend, he still tries to be their friend. (That warmed our hearts...) He also noted that one reason he gets into trouble during nap time is that his cot was recently moved to be closer to his friends. Hmmm..... Anyway, we spent about 10-15 minutes just listening to him talk and talk and talk. He even asked Daddy some cute questions about his school.

Ok, now we KNOW this was a stall strategy for bedtime. We aren't too naive to see that. But as Brandon eloquently said last night after Braylon dozed off, if he tries that tactic again.... it will work every time.

1 comment:

Anna said...

A kid after my own heart. I was the master of this ... and the whole time I never figured my parents were on to me.