Thursday, July 28, 2011

Why I Left Probation

It seems I've been answering this question repeatedly over the last several months. I figured I might as well write down my thoughts on the matter.

When I was younger, a career in criminal justice intrigued me. I must admit, I did fantasize about being as cool and clever as Clarice Starling and about changing the world one troubled person at a time. I made exemplary grades in my criminal justice courses in college. I was the president of the Criminal Justice Association on my campus. And after two internships in juvenile probation, I was hooked. This was going to be my life-long career, no second thoughts.

But as I've grown older, my priorities have now shifted. I climbed the criminal justice career ladder as high as I wanted to go. I feel that the mission I set out to accomplish has been achieved to the best of my ability. And now it's time to broaden my horizens to a new adventure; One that surely will yield more profitable rewards. Teaching.

I didn't leave probation because I was disgruntled, burnt out, angry, bitter or just plain cynical. I left because I would love to opportunity to motivate and teach young people.

So, here I go on this new journey. Probation work has been a pleasure (well, mostly). But I'm just so thrilled to see how the next chapter of my life will unfold and play out.

No comments: