Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Movie Review

Movie: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightening Thief

Rated: PG
Starring: I'm sorry I really have no idea who the teen actors are, although I should

The story is a coming of age journey that one teenager encounters when he finds out that he is the son of one of the prominent Greek gods. In order to restore his father's name and prevent a war breaking out between the gods, Percy Jackson must journey to Hades and back again in search for the stolen lightening bolt. He finds a lot of help amidst many foes along the way.

Becky's Rating: A

Ok, truth be told, I really enjoyed this movie. It was relatively clean (a few minor curse words and no suggestive material). However, I MUST say that I feel this movie was really PUSHING the PG rating. We took both boys and Braylon was sitting on the edge of his seat with worried looks in a few places - And he's the OLDER of the two. I simply had to cover Blaine's eyes about 5 or 6 times because I was sure we were scarring him for life. It's been 10 days since we saw the film and he's yet to have nightmares, but only by the grace of God, because it was too scary for him in my book. The story was well developed and the adventure moved along smoothly. It was entertaining for children as well as parents. Of course, let me make one brief mention that the movie does center around FICTIONAL gods. I don't find it to benefit anyone for Christians to rally against this film for the sake that it deals with idols or false gods. It's a work of fiction and any parent can easily explain this to a child before or after the movie, which is what we did.

Bottom Line: An excellent choice - For families with kids 7 and up!!

No comments: