Friday, December 14, 2007

Movie Review: Pirates of the Carribean DVD

Movie Review: Pirates of the Carribean At World's End DVDStarring: Johnny Depp, Keira Knightly, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush
Rated: PG-13

This is the third and final installment of the Pirates trilogy. The second Pirates movie left a cliffhanger moment where Jack Sparrow (Depp) is lost at sea in the belly of a giant sea creature. The third movie is the story of how his crew saves him and then how a team of misfit and oddly teamed pirates fight against the plight of the authorities for the rights to sail the open sea freely and without oppression.

Becky's rating: C-

My rating hurts my heart almost as much as the movie did! I was a big fan of Pirates 1 and 2 only to have much disappointment come my way with Pirates 3. The storyline was rushed and complicated. Many times you had to really concentrate to even "get" what was going on. There were a few parts toward the beginning that Brandon and I thought were just plain stupid - like when Jack is on the beach with the crabs or when Jack sees a lot of other Jacks on the Black Pearl and elsewhere. The part that was hardest to accept was the ending. I will not ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen this, but it doesn't end with Disney's classic "formula." As much as we all hate to admit it, we crave the formula where the good guys save the day and wins the girl. Don't go into this movie with high hopes of that is all I will say...One positive note, Brandon and I agree that Geoffrey Rush steals the show in this one. An A+ rating for his reprisal of Captain Barbosa!

Bottom line: Worth seeing so that you can see how the trilogy ends, but sad, very sad... Boo, hoo....I expected more...

No comments: